It's the end of the world as we know it... and I feel fine.
As you may have already heard, Harold Camping has been getting his small army of volunteers to spread the word that the world is going to end tomorrow, 5/21/2011, at 6am. So, naturally, this
will be could be probably won't be my last blog post ever.
My first reaction is to dismiss this. In fact someone first mentioned something back in November when they heard an ad on Star 99.1. And I didn't think about it again until I heard it on ESPN radio, where they were mocking the guy about a month ago. I didn't think about it much because I feel like the more that we pay attention to these things, the more they don't go away.
But then, somehow, it's hit the mainstream media. It's on about every news outlet. Even the CDC released a tongue-in-cheek Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse primer just 4 days ago.
So, if CNN is talking about it, then I perhaps my mentioning it in my blog won't make a remarkable difference in the amount of attention that this is getting.
First of all, as soon as you hear about someone saying that they know that the world is going to end on a certain day or a certain time, I think, "well scratch that one off the list..." because the Bible says,
“But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only." ~ Matthew 24:36 (ESV)
Look, if Jesus doesn't know, then why would God reveal it to this guy. Also, this is the same guy that said that the world was going to end in 1994. Plus, we've been through this before. I remember someone telling me that it was going to happen in 1989. And then I heard about it in 1992. And then with the Millennium. And now this. Besides, we all know the world is gonna end in 2012, right?
But, just because he was wrong before doesn't necessarily mean he's wrong again right? Retest, anyone?
So, should we pay attention to what this guys is saying at all?
• NO! Clearly, the world is not gonna end tomorrow. And if I'm wrong, then I'll be the first to admit it. Wait—how does that work?—okay, nevermind. I Thessalonians 5:2 says, "For you yourselves are fully aware that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night." I'm pretty sure that the original Greek does not translate to "billboards and radio ads". So, don't pay any attention to him.
• But wait! YES! We shouldn't necessarily sell our possessions and paint our vehicles with dates and times on it. However, the Bible is pretty clear that we should be thinking about the end of the world. Matthew 25:13 says,
Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour. (ESV)
We should be living in such a way that makes us prepared for the end of the world. And here's the kicker: We live that way, specifically because we don't know the day or the hour.
So, let's recap.
• The world is not gonna end tomorrow.
• We don't know when it's gonna end.
• Because we don't know when it's gonna end, we should live as though it may end at any time.
So, I guess the question is: It's the day before May 21st, 2011. Have you thought about your eternity?
See you Sunday, everyone!!